SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
The University of Zagreb School of Medicine holds a position as the oldest and most respected institution offering medical education in the Republic of Croatia. Its establishment was officially approved by the Croatian parliament in January 1917. This decision reflected an early recognition of the importance of academic medicine for both the medical profession and the broader society.
Classes officialy started a year later, following Drago Perović’s inaugural lecture on the direction of teaching and research in anatomy at the University of Zagreb. The appointment of the first professors marked the beginning of several key institutes, including the Department of Anatomy, Morphology-Biological Institute, Medical-Chemical Institute, Institute of Physiological, Pathological-Anatomical Institute, Department of General Experimental Pathology and Pharmacology, and the Public Health Institute. Between 1920 and 1922, many clinical departments were also established.
By 1927, the Zagreb School of Medicine had a total of 17 teaching establishments, with that number increasing to 19 by 1937. Most of the Faculty’s facilities were located on Šalata, where the construction of the entire Medical School was planned.
After World War II, the demand for medical doctors increased, which in the year 1948/49 resulted in a significant increase in the number of students. It was in the academic year 1965/66 that the practice of limited registration with entry exams was introduced, shaping the institution’s approach to education.